Friday, March 6, 2009

YouTube is my happy place

Nearly every day, I am grateful for youtube. Today, it was the turn of my Y10s to benefit from the fact that people worldwide have waaay too much time on their hands.

We're studying electricity, and my class is up to generating electricity. We did a little thing yesterday on turbines and the main types of generation. Today I wanted to ease them into a reading activity on wind power, so we watched a video on youtube. I backed it up with a little worksheet, of course.

The video was a parody of NIMBYs and their complaints about wind farms. I thought it was hilarious. The students just thought it was odd. The worksheet asked students to tick the reasons against windpower that actually appeared in the video, and cross those that did not appear or had nothing to do with the video. Then there were a couple of more probing questions for the more advanced students - I see this class right after lunch on Wednesdays, so I didn't want anything too complicated.

It worked really well, was quick, simple, and made the students laugh (although they claimed that he wasn't funny, just annoying). What's not to love? If you need to have a laugh, just watch it and giggle

No comments:

Post a Comment