Friday, May 1, 2009

Investigative investigations and the relationship between the physical and living worlds

There are five strands to Science in the New Zealand Curriculum, four content strands and a Nature of Science strand that integrates and permeates the others. It's not always easy to integrate the strands, though I am always looking for opportunities to do so. Today, I had an awesome opportunity to integrate the Physical World and Living World strands.

We're studying forces and motion in Y11 science at the moment. I wanted a paper helicopter investigation activity, because helicopters are pretty damn awesome. But I discovered something better (using the amazing power of google, too) - an activity that uses four different helicopter designs based on seed pods (the twirly ones).

I immediately abandoned the idea of straightforward helicopters and embraced the idea of using four different designs. The learning I wanted my students to get today was partly to do with forces. It was also to do with fair tests and how to design them. But, above all, I wanted them to get the idea that we use models in science to test things. It's hard to get to the forest to study dispersal patterns of seeds? Can we simulate it in the laboratory using other things, with similar behaviour, to get a better idea of what we should be looking for when we do actually get to the forest?

Of my five groups, three were engaged and did a good job. One was fantastic and finished the whole thing, even the extension activity about baby spiders. One wasn't engaged at all, even with my fervent encouragement. I'm not too worried.

I took some photos, and I'm going to make a collage on the wall showing their work. I'm going through a real phase of documenting student work in photo form and displaying it.

No comments:

Post a Comment