Thursday, May 21, 2009

Four computers per classroom

In my ideal world, I would have a class set of laptops. Failing that, having a pod of four computers at the back of the classroom is still pretty awesome.

Four computers is enough that students who finish early can use them to do extension work - like the students in my class today who are playing Fantastic Contraption because they finished their work and did not need to go back and revise earlier work. Four computers is enough - just - that groups can use it for a stations activity, with the other stations being paper-based.

But four computers is not enough when you want students to use online resources to create something new - a presentation or a poster or a video or whatever.

I'm really lucky. The class I tried this with first - Y9 science - is always on at the same time as only one other class. That means I can spread my 24 students around 12 computers across three classrooms. It works - but it's not ideal. When students have a question to ask me or hit a snag, they have to come and find me. It relies on students being able to work unsupervised in empty classrooms - or be trusted not to disrupt the learning in occupied classrooms. I am still not sure of the long-term value of having just four computers in my classroom, but I'm not giving up on making it work yet.

Oh, and since I'm here, here's a link to the wordle that one group made: Wordle: Nicholas and Morgan They are so pleased with themselves.

No comments:

Post a Comment