Monday, March 30, 2015

There are always fireworks

We do a unit in Year 10 called Combustion. Since setting things on fire is a well-moderated passion of mine, I am always excited during this unit. This year, I found a youtube tutorial that actually worked first time. I don't think I've ever had this happen before.





Okay, so the introduction is boring and I very nearly closed it, but I'm glad I persevered. A few notes:

Watch out for the powdered magnesium, because it goes everywhere and I don't imagine you need to be breathing it in. Make in a fume hood, wear a mask, definitely wear your steampunk goggles safety glasses.

Putting sparklers in the oven? Not our oven, thanks. We dried them on the bench in the sun. It took about five days, but it was worth it. We'll break them out again in November, they were that good.

No comments:

Post a Comment